Tuesday, May 25, 2004

 

The Finer Things in Life

Yesterday my quality of life in Tanzania took a huge step up. My hot water heater is finally operational. After many months of painfully cold showers, I am finally able to enjoy the physical and mental benefits of hot water. It was impossible to get completely clean when I was screaming in pain from the shock of ice cold water. As the outside temperatures dropped, I had take to singing musicals to keep my mind off of the torture I was enduring to stay clean. I am sure my neighbors greatly appreciated my stunning renditions of Oklahoma! and Phantom of the Opera.

The repair itself was a relatively simple matter. The fundi (repairman) fashioned 2 new fuses out of some wire to replace the non-functioning ones. In less than 30 minutes, my bathroom transformed from torture chamber to a haven of peace and relaxation. Granted the water is a little yellow coming from the hot water heater, but I overlook that to enjoy my new luxury.

Speaking of the finer things in life, the food selection at the market is getting better. Lately they have been selling mandarins. I am completely addicted to them. At 50 Tsh a piece, they are a tasty and relatively cheap snack. One of the vendors even had grapefruit last week. I am so thankful that I live in the buzzing metropolis that is Moshi, Tanzania.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?